Linux kernel crash dumps for ARM

Paul Mundt lethal at linux-sh.org
Tue Jan 5 03:48:51 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:20:23PM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Venkappa Mala <Venkappa.Mala at lntinfotech.com> writes:
> >
> > 2) As per kexec supports, kexec-tool is required and this allows you to load directly
> >    to a new kernel from the currently running one
> >
> >     As from my side, i am not able to find arm implementation support in kexec-tools/crash sources.
> >
> >    - is kexce-tool supported for ARM or not?

It would be rather counterintuitive for the kernel to support kexec and
the necessary userspace components not to.

The MAINTAINERS file says:

KEXEC
M:      Eric Biederman <ebiederm at xmission.com>
W:      http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/horms/kexec-tools/
L:      kexec at lists.infradead.org
S:      Maintained
F:      include/linux/kexec.h
F:      kernel/kexec.c

While the above URL redirects to gitweb, resulting in:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/horms/kexec-tools.git;a=summary

A peripheral grep of the kexec-tools source results in:

$ git grep kdump | grep arm
kexec/arch/arm/kexec-arm.c:     return 0; /* kdump is not supported on this platform (yet) */

So one could infer that kexec is supported on ARM whilst kdump is not. Adding
crashdump support requires both some kernel and kexec-tools glue, but is fairly
straightforward, just look at the other ports.