Kexec on ARM?

Phil Black Phil.Black at hillcrestlabs.com
Tue Feb 23 17:32:55 EST 2010

Hi, I've been trying to kexec a kernel on an arm platform.  I've
successfully compiled the userland kexec-tools both from the git repo,
and the latest 2.0.1 release.  I've tried the latest official kernel
(2.6.33-rc8) as well as from the arago project (a patched 2.6.32
kernel), but have yet to see anything happen.

I'm trying this on a Ti DM365 EVM board, which is an ARM926EJ-S core

 Kexec seems to be able to load the kernel, but just hangs after
decompression.... My terminal output looks like:

root at 10.9.5.34:~# kexec -l uImage

root at 10.9.5.34:~# kexec -e

Starting new kernel

Bye!

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

After this, it just sits there....

I haven't done a whole lot of kernel debugging, so any
suggestions/advice would be appreciated.  I'm not really sure where to
start.  I've also tried zImage files which don't work either.

I don't know if it matters, but uBoot (the bootloader) loads the kernel
at 0x80008000 with kernel entry point at 0x80008000.

Thanks,

Phil