Presentation of crashdc

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at hp.com
Fri Dec 3 08:01:39 EST 2010

Hello everyone

I just want to take  a few minutes of your time to let you know about
crashdc, a project that I have been working on for the last year.

It is a set of scripts that leverage kexec's kdump_post mechanism to
generate a text file called crash-data-{date}.txt containing some
specific 'crash' command output.

This allows kexec to automatically generate a high level text file that
can be sent to support engineers without going through the pain of
sending multi-gigabyte files over the Internet.

crashdc can also be triggered by an initscript upon reboot if sysadmins
prefer to avoid execution of crash commands in the kexec booted kernel
context, as it sometimes require a sensible increase in the
crashkernel's reserved memory.

It is currently working on RHEL5, SLES10 and SLES11 and I'm working on
RHEL6 enablement (x86 and x86_64).

You can find more details about it here :

http://cariblog.kamikamamak.com/2009/10/17/crashdc-the-architecture/

The project is hosted here :

http://crashdc.sourceforge.net

If some of you are insterested in more details, don't hesitate to let me
know.

Kind Regards,

--
Louis Bouchard
Linux Support Engineer

HP Technology Services - Global Competency Center
Hewlett-Packard Company

louis.bouchard at hp.com     / Email
Mon-Fri 9-17<WET>,<GMT+2> / Working Hours
Mark Fay                  / Manager
mark.fay at hp.com           / Manager's Email