[rfc] Merge kexec-tools into the kernel tree

Bernhard Walle bernhard at bwalle.de
Wed Aug 4 04:08:13 EDT 2010

* Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> [2010-08-04 09:06]:

> Given that there have been a bunch of issues with kexec
> on power that this would resolve. and there is precedence
> for tools in the kernel tree, this sounds entirely reasonable to me.
> So with my kexec-tools maintainer hat on, I would like to start
> a conversation about this.

Well, honestly I don't understand the reason behind it.

If it's about dependencies between the kexec binary and the kernel
version -- there are also dependencies between makedumpfile and crash to
the kernel version. Should we move makedumpfile and crash in the kernel
tree, too (which means that we have a GDB copy in the kernel tree)?

Regards,
Bernhard