general protection error:0

David Newall kexec at davidnewall.com
Tue Apr 27 14:38:05 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy with a 2.6.28 kernel on VirtualBox, and want to
simply restart the current kernel (because I'm a kexec noob and that
seems a sensible first step.)  I've put "break=init" on the command line
so it gives me a shell just before pivoting root from the initrd to the
hard-disk.  I do the kexec -l and kexec -e, the kernel (re)starts, does
all of the usual startup things, and drops me back in a shell when it's
about to start init (break=init, remember?)  At this point, when I try
to run almost any command, for example "chroot /root bash", I get
"Segmentation fault" with general protection logged in dmesg, for
example: "bash[1058] general protection ip:b7f0c425 sb:bfb282f4
error:0"  No doubt I'm making a basic mistake, but Google failed to show
me what, hence I'm asking here for suggestions.

Has anyone any suggestion?

Thanks,

David