Kdump Failed with 2.6.31 i386

Amerigo Wang amwang at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 03:44:53 EDT 2009

CAI Qian wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Is it a known issue that kdump failed with 2.6.31 i386 systems? The
> kdump kernel seems hang here.

> Spurious LAPIC timer interrupt on cpu 0
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> console handover: boot [earlyser0] -> real [ttyS0]
> Lock dependency validator: Copyright (c) 2006 Red Hat, Inc., Ingo Molnar
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_SUBCLASSES:  8
> ... MAX_LOCK_DEPTH:          48
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_KEYS:        8191
> ... CLASSHASH_SIZE:          4096
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_ENTRIES:     16384
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_CHAINS:      32768
> ... CHAINHASH_SIZE:          16384
>  memory used by lock dependency info: 3743 kB
>  per task-struct memory footprint: 1920 bytes
> HPET: 3 timers in total, 0 timers will be used for per-cpu timer
> Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = 577041676100 ns)

This case hangs on setup_irq(0, &irq0). We already knew this.

> or
>
> Spurious LAPIC timer interrupt on cpu 0
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> console [ttyS0] enabled
> Lock dependency validator: Copyright (c) 2006 Red Hat, Inc., Ingo Molnar
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_SUBCLASSES:  8
> ... MAX_LOCK_DEPTH:          48
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_KEYS:        8191
> ... CLASSHASH_SIZE:          4096
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_ENTRIES:     16384
> ... MAX_LOCKDEP_CHAINS:      32768
> ... CHAINHASH_SIZE:          16384
>  memory used by lock dependency info: 3743 kB
>  per task-struct memory footprint: 1920 bytes
> allocated 2621440 bytes of page_cgroup
> please try 'cgroup_disable=memory' option if you don't want memory cgroups
> Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer frequency..
> 5986.01 BogoMIPS (lpj=2993008)

This case hangs after calibrate_delay() which already passed
late_time_init(), and probably before security_init()...
(since probably you have CONFIG_SECURITY=y)

Did you meet these two cases on the same machine? Or on different machines?

Thanks.