Need for KEXEC_PRESERVE_CONTEXT flag ?

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Sun Jun 21 13:17:09 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:00:44PM +0530, Indraneel Mukherjee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The file kernel/kexec.c (~ line 1001 in linux-2.6.30) has this code
>
> ------snip----
>
>  if (flags & KEXEC_PRESERVE_CONTEXT)
>             image->preserve_context = 1;
>
> ------snip----
>
> Will this ever be true? The flag KEXEC_PRESERVE_CONTEXT is not even defined
> in kexec-tools-2.0.0.
>
> Consequently, all the code inside the condition  if(image->preserve_context)
>   is also useless?
>
> Am i missing something here?

Yes, the code you're looking at in the first definition is part of the kernel,
while you're looking for the definition of KEXEC_PRESERVE_CONTEXT in the
kexec-tools userspace code.  You need to look for the definition of
KEXEC_PRESERVE_CONTEXT in the kernel code (you'll find it in
include/linux/kexec.h).  kexec-tools might use it one day, but not using it
doesn't mean we should remove it from the kernel.

Neil