kexec -l takes long time

David N. Lombard dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jan 21 09:42:42 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 09:53:13AM -0700, Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh) wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have recently started using kexec in our environment. One thing that I have noticed, the command:
> “kexec –l bzImage –append=”`cat /proc/cmdline`”
> Takes about 20 seconds to finish, is this normal? If not what might be the issue?

It's not normal in my experience; in all of my experiences on normal IA servers
the load has no noticable delay.

I don't know where to point you to, though for troubleshooting.  An strace
would likely get you started though.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.