vmcore file 0 size in x86_64

Chandan12 K chandan12.k at tcs.com
Thu Aug 13 06:10:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

Adding boot logs

NET: Registered protocol family 1
audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
type=2000 audit(1250069944.104:1): initialized
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 512 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
Warning: Core image elf header is notsane
Kdump: vmcore not initialized
Registering unionfs 2.2-mm
msgmni has been set to 90
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered

however, similar case has already been discussed in other mailing lists
with vivek. The only difference is that, I am not using redhat system and
dont have any user level kexel tools.

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/fastboot/2007-January/012572.html

The kernel command line of capture kernel (kexe'ed kernel) : Kernel
command line: root=/dev/nfs rw console=ttyS0,115200 ip=::::::dhcp
selinux=0 noacpi maxcpus=1 memmap=exactmap memmap=640K at 0K
memmap=64876K at 16384K elfcorehdr=81260K

Command line for the Primary kernel : root=/dev/nfs rw
console=ttyS0,115200 ip=::::::dhcp crashkernel=64M at 16M

kexec command used : kexec -p bzImage --append="root=/dev/nfs rw
console=ttyS0,115200 ip=::::::dhcp selinux=0 noacpi maxcpus=1"

Kconfig options :

CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x200000
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x200000

Please suggest.

Chandan

Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>
Sent by: crash-utility-bounces at redhat.com
08/12/2009 07:39 PM

Please respond to
"Discussion list for crash utility usage,        maintenance and
development" <crash-utility at redhat.com>

"Discussion list for crash utility usage,        maintenance and
development" <crash-utility at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Crash-utility] vmcore file size 0 on x86_64

Forwarded to kexec list:

 http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2009-August/003474.html

----- "Chandan12 K" <chandan12.k at tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am little new in this mailing list. I just wondered if anybody could
> help me regarding the vmcore file generation. I ran kexec on my x86_64
> machine, and the /proc/vmcore file is created with zero size.
>
> However, even if I read the /dev/oldmem file, I am only able to read
> till 16M. I guess I am only able to read till the 'X', where X is
> crashkernel=Y at X.
>
> Moreover, My machine seems to have 32 bit user space and ofcourse, 64
> bit kernel space.
>
> Appreciate any response.
>
> Chandan Kumar
> and any attachments. Thank you