[Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

Amerigo Wang amwang at redhat.com
Sun Aug 9 23:11:34 EDT 2009

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Let me put this concrete proposal on the table.
>
> The problem:
>
> With the current set of crashkernel= options we are asking the
> distribution installer to perform magic.  Moving as much of this logic
> into a normal init script for better maintenance is desirable.
>
> My proposal:
>
> Implement crashkernel=max which reserves as much memory as is
> reasonable for a crash kernel, without seriously affecting stability,
> performance, and reliability.

This is almost exactly what I want with crashkernel=auto....
So there's no big difference, except the name.

> As an initial approximation I would use a 32nd of low memory.

Hmm, I think Bernhard's proposal is fine for this case, i.e. we can
introduce a new syntax, "crashkernel=>>X" which means we reserve 1/2^X
of system memory.

What do you think?

> In addition implement:
>
> /sys/kernel/crash_size
>
> That can be written to (with enough privileges when no crash kernel is
> loaded) reduce the amount of memory reserved by the crash kernel.

Yeah, this is nice!

Thanks.