[Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle at gmx.de
Fri Aug 7 17:31:52 EDT 2009

Eric W. Biederman schrieb:

> With the current set of crashkernel= options we are asking the
> distribution installer to perform magic.  Moving as much of this logic
> into a normal init script for better maintenance is desirable.

Not (necessarily) the installer but the program that configures kdump.
system-config-kdump on Red Hat, YaST on SUSE.

> Bernhard does that sound useful to you?

I don't see any problems. I don't know how much effort is it to free
already reserved crashkernel memory, but I guess it's not really
complicated. Maybe that "1/32" should be specified on the command line like

	crashkernel=>>5

(for 1/32*system_memory == system_memory>>5), OTOH I have no real strong
opinion.

Regards,
Bernhard