the exiting makedumpfile is almost there... :)

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 16:47:49 EDT 2008

Jay Lan wrote:
> Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
>
>>Hi Jay,
>

> Hi Ken'ichi,
>

>>My IA64 linux-2.6.27-rc7 kernel could boot by your patches and its kdump
>>succeeded, thanks. But I cannot reproduce this problem unfortunately.
>>Could you send me your kernel .config file to reproduce it ?
>

> I just emailed you my .config.
>

>>And could you please research the reason why the page of virtual address
>>0xe0000060031417a8 is excluded ?  This patch is for researching it.
>>Please apply it against makedumpfile-1.2.9, and create a dump file
>>by makedumpfile with "-e 0xe0000060031417a8" option. The reason why
>>excluding the page is printed like the following:
>

> The excluded page moved. It is at at e0000060030f0000 type: "pmd page".
> The change that Dave said helped him did not help me though.

Did you initialize the reset_cache variable to 1 at the top of the function?
I forgot to put that in my post.

In any case, you still want to debug that function.  Since you know what
the target pfn being skipped is: 60030f0000 >> PAGE_SHIFT, you can
dump out the page->flags field in exclude_unnecessary_pages() when it
comes up in the loop.  Then when you run crash on the "cp" dumpfile,
do a "kmem -p 60030f0000", which will show the associated page struct
address and a few fields within it.  My guess is that the page->flags
field that you saw in makedumpfile's exclude_unnecessary_pages() will
not be the same as what you see running crash.

Dave

Dave