SetVirtualAddressMap() on Tiano EFI firmware

Bjorn Helgaas bjorn.helgaas at hp.com
Fri Sep 12 14:59:53 EDT 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 03:59:54 pm Lombard, David N wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:23:58PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > Has kexec been tested on x86 with EFI firmware?
> >
> > I'm testing it on ia64 with Tiano-based EFI firmware, and I
> > tripped over an issue with SetVirtualAddressMap().  I would
> > expect a similar problem to happen on x86, but I don't see
> > any code to deal with it.
>
> Hmmm.  I run on 32- and 64-bit kernels on a 32-bit IA EFI, and
> haven't seen this problem, including chains of kexec invocations.
>
> I'll take a closer look at what's going on on my systems.

Thanks.  In case it wasn't clear, here's my confusion about x86:

I don't see anything in kexec-tools that touches SetVirtualAddressMap().
And I don't see anything in Linux that prevents x86 from calling
SetVirtualAddressMap() in the new kernel.

If we do call SetVirtualAddressMap() in the new kernel, I would
expect it to return EFI_UNSUPPORTED, which should cause Linux to
panic.

Bjorn