kdump broken on Altix 350

Jay Lan jlan at sgi.com
Wed Sep 10 16:21:35 EDT 2008

Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck at intel.com> [2008-08-29]:
>
>>> your commit
>>>
>>>     commit 10617bbe84628eb18ab5f723d3ba35005adde143
>>>     Author: Tony Luck <tony.luck at intel.com>
>>>     Date:   Tue Aug 12 10:34:20 2008 -0700
>>>
>>>     [IA64] Ensure cpu0 can access per-cpu variables in early boot
>>> code
>>>
>>> broke kdump on our Altix 350. I get following early crash in kdump
>>> kernel
>> Sorry about that.  I'll try to reproduce it here.
>
> I had some discussion about that with Jay Lan that he could not
> reproduce that on his machine. We thought it was different config, but
> now I can verify that the problem is reproducible here with the default
> configuration (plus CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE).

Hi Bernhard and Tony,

I started seeing this problem, and it affected A4700 in addition to
A350.

It was not clear the system hang was related to this problem. I saw a
kdump kernel hang at cpu_init() at an A350, and a hang in find_memory
on handling pernode space thing at an A4700. No error records and no
backtrace, so i did not relate my problem to this one at first.

Out of curiosity, i backed out Tony's patch mentioned from 2.6.27-rc5
and the kdump kernel hangs were gone on both systems.

Also, i had a kdump kernel MCA problem that was caused by kexec
underallocating kernel memory for the kdump kernel. The  problem
does not happen again after i backed out the patch.

Regards,
jay