IA64: copying /proc/vmcore caused kernel MCA'ed

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Tue Sep 9 04:19:00 EDT 2008

* Jay Lan <jlan at sgi.com> [2008-09-08]:

> Any input helping me speed up debugging is appreciated.

I would start with comparing the ELF program headers of /proc/vmcore
which you get with "readelf -l /proc/vmcore" in kdump environment and
the /proc/iomem which kexec uses to set up the ELF core headers.

If both does contain the memory regions which should not be accessed,
then it's a bug in the ressource assignment of the kernel, and
if /proc/iomem does not, the kexec tool has a bug.

Hope that helps a bit, I don't have time to look deeper into that now.

Bernhard