kexec & memtest86+: inconsistent memory errors

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Tue Oct 7 14:23:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

We've been using kexec to drop into memtest86+ for a few years now.  We run
memtest86+ from within our Linux-based hardware test suite.  This has always
worked quite well.  It was painful to get running at first (kexec was still
young then and wasn't included with our distribution's kernel), but is very easy
to use now.

Unfortunately, though, we've hit a new snag with our latest platform version.
This is based on Ubuntu 8.04.

Specific software version info:

  kernel version 2.6.24-19-generic
  kexec-tools-testing 20070330 released 30th March 2007
  memtest86+ version 2.01

The problem is that memtest86+ reports numerous memory errors when booted via
kexec, booting directly into memtest86+ does not turn up these errors.

I suspect a device is getting mapped into memory and not deallocated prior to
kexec execution (but I may be putting my ignorance on display).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Forest
--