kdump: quad core Opteron

Chandru chandru at in.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 08:51:52 EDT 2008

kdump on a quad core Opteron blade machine doesn't give a complete
vmcore on the system.   All works well until we attempt to copy
/proc/vmcore to some target place ( disk , n/w ). The system immediately
resets without any OS messages after having copied few mb's of vmcore
file.  Problem also occurs with 2.6.27-rc8 and latest kexec-tools.  If
we pass 'mem=4G' as boot parameter to the first kernel, then kdump
succeeds in copying a readable vmcore to /var/crash.

[root at abc ~]# uname -a
Linux abc 2.6.27-rc8 #2 SMP Tue Oct 7 08:05:46 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Chandru