Fwd: Kexec support for PS3 (ppc64)

Rajasekaran P rajasekaran83 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:55:11 EST 2008

Hi all,
I am sorry about the earlier post with disclaimer message.

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 04:55:04PM +0530, Rajasekaran Periyasamy
wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I put a printk() in the early lines of early_parse_crashk() with
> > KERN_EMERG, but not able to see that on the boot screen. I think the
> > control is not transferred to early_parse_crashk() at all. With out
this
> > "crashkernel" argument, the same kernel boots up properly.
>
> Looks strange.
>
> Could you please include more debug printks in the function
> do_early_param in init/main.c to check whether early_parse_crashk is
> called or not?

I've tried, but no result... Please have a look at the snapshot of boot
process.

I think the kernel is not at all getting initiated to boot up.

Whatever you see in the snapshot,
1. "Modified cmdline:" is from
"kexec-tools-1.101/kexec/arch/ppc64/fs2dt.c" putnode() function,
2. "segment" lines are from
"kexec-tools-1.101/kexec/arch/ppc64/kexec-elf-ppc64.c" elf_ppc64_load()
function.

KEXEC is used by KBOOT to boot the (secondary) linux kernel. But I am
wondering why the kernel is not booting up when I give "crashkernel"
option.

> How do you boot the kernel, by yaboot or kboot?

I use kboot latest version (kboot-20080201).
Please refer to
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_2
0080201-ADDON/src/<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20080201-ADDON/src/>for
src of kboot.