linux-next: Tree for July 18: warning at kernel/lockdep.c:2068 trace_hardirqs_on_caller

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 09:39:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 03:25:39PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Vivek Goyal [2008-07-21 09:17]:
> >
> > Is /proc/iomem updated upon memory hotplug event.
>
> Yes. I just checked that (yesterday).
>
> I think it would make sense to extend /sys/firmware/memmap on
> hot-plugging. Just because on reboot, the firmware will see that
> memory, too, and report it. However, we need a way to discriminate the
> originally firmware-provided memory map with later added memory. I'm
> not sure how that can be done, I have to think about it.

Probably use another type of RAM identifier (System RAM (hotplug)).

But the point is, if /sys/devices/system/memory also represents all
the physical memory present in the system then it might be not be
justified to create another similar interface. (Until and unless there
is something unique about /sys/firmware/memmap).