problems in kdump kernel if 'maxcpus=1' not specified?

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Wed Jul 16 12:45:32 EDT 2008

* Vivek Goyal [2008-07-16 12:34]:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 05:26:01PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > * Vivek Goyal [2008-07-16 11:12]:
> > >
> > > You need to dive deeper to find out what is taking so much of time.
> >
> > I think the main difference are the huge memory gaps usual on IA64
> > systems. makedumpfile processes each PFN sequentially when creating the
> > 1st bitmap.
>
> By memory gaps you mean large amount of memory?

No, the whole system memory mappend (beside of boot memory) beyond
1^32. Like (from /proc/iomem):

6000100000-60003fffff : System RAM
6003000000-6033dfffff : System RAM
6033e00000-6043ffffff : System RAM
6044000000-6045b9efff : System RAM
6045b9f000-60f7ffdfff : System RAM
16000100000-160003fffff : System RAM
16003000000-16033dfffff : System RAM

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development