Future of kexec-tools-testing

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Fri Jul 11 11:07:20 EDT 2008

* Simon Horman [2008-07-11 09:08]:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:29:12AM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> >
> > SUSE uses now kexec-tools-testing releases since about one year and
> > we never had severe problems (compared to other software). It's well
> > maintained (thanks Simon!), gets frequent releases, patches are
> > accepted, so:
> >
> >  - I would suggest that kexec-tools-testing could be renamed to
> >    kexec-tools somewhere in the future since kexec-tools is not
> >    maintained any more by Eric. It only causes confusion since
> >    some distributions still use kexec-tools (the original ones)
> >    with lots of patches.
>
> I agree.
>
> Perhaps we could make the next release kexec-tools 2.0.0, perhaps
> after a few beta releases?

Sounds reasonable.

> I can rename my git tree to coincide with this move.

I think the name of the git tree is not that important, but it makes
also sense to rename that. Since there is no "kexec-tools" tree anyway.

> Perhaps the best thing to do now would be to hash out a release roadmap.
> Fortunately the code is pretty small, so it shouldn't be a very long road.
>
> Do you think there is anything currently missing from the tree?
> If not, I can make a beta release early next week (I have to leave
> my desk for an extended weekend shortly).

No, the current state is fine for me (from a functional point of view).
So, just release kexec-tools-2.0.0-rc1 next week. I think we don't need
alpha and beta versions here.

I'll help to test that release then (by updating SUSE/Factory :-)).

I think we don't need changes in the release policy because it worked
out fine in the past. And when 2.0.0 is out, I think then also all
other major distributions like Debian, Fedora, etc. update to that
release and drop their patches.

Thanks a lot for your effort!

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development