x86_64 kernel relocation question

kevint kevint at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 10 14:33:41 EST 2008

> * kevint <kevint at lanl.gov> [2008-01-10 01:45]:
>>
>> I am relatively new to kexec, and am running into some problems with
>> relocations when I try to use kexec to load several different X86_64
>> kernels.  I think this is the correct list to post to, but please
>> point me
>> in the right direction if it isn't.
>>
>> Here is some of the information on my test environment:
>>
>> $ kexec --version
>> kexec-tools-testing 20071030 released 30th October 2007
>>
>> $ uname -r
>> 2.6.21.5
>
> Just to make sure, is CONFIG_RELOCATABLE set?

I was a bit confused about this.  I have two kernels:  the kernel I
want to kexec from and the one I want to kexec to.  From what I've
read, the kernel I kexec from needs to have kexec support
(CONFIG_KEXEC=y) and the kernel I want to kexec to needs to be
relocatable.

It appears from:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2007-April/000012.html

that this configuration option (CONFIG_RELOCATABLE) is no longer
required.  I am going to dig around a bit more to see if I can find
out more on how to build a relocatable x86_64 kernel.

Please correct me if I am missing something here.

>> $ kexec -l /tmp/vmlinuz
>> Unhandled rela relocation: 4258616
>>
>> I noticed this line in the source file,
>> kexec/arch/x86_64/kexec-elf-rel-x86_64.c:
>>
>> die("Unhandled rela relocation: %lu\n", reloc_name(r_type));
>>
>> I figured %lu should be %s, so I changed it, and got the following
>> output:
>
> Can you make a patch and send it to this list so that it get fixed in
> kexec-tools-testing? Cc Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au>, the
> maintainer.

Sent patch in previous message.

>         Bernhard