kdump from x86_64 using i386 capture kernel

Stanislaw Gruszka stf_xl at wp.pl
Fri Jan 4 07:46:37 EST 2008

Hi.

I would like to do generic capture system which could be used for x86_64
and i386 first kernels. This system should be minimal, only capable to copy
vmcore image over network for futher analysis. First kernel version is 2.6.23.9,
I choose 2.6.16.y for capture.

I have some problems with vmcore when origin is x86_64. With 32 bit kexec
crash utility do not recognize it, when I use 64 bit kexec /proc/vmcore file
has size == 0. Reading form oldmem is  fine, I can for example get old
dmesg from it.

Now questions:
It is possible to achieve valid vmcore when first is x86_64 and capture
is i386 ?
If no, is there some way to convert oldmem to valid vmcore in this scenario?
Or maybe is possible to use crash with copy of oldmem (I try but without any
success) ?

Regards
Stanislaw Gruszka