why kexec insists on syncing with recent kernels?

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Mon Feb 11 07:36:58 EST 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Randy Dunlap schrieb:
>
> (...)
>
> > > Even if you did -f, it must have shutdown the network. I think somehow
> > > in latest kernels there is some dependency on network and that's why
> > > not shutting down network in this case is helping you.
> >
> > I'm seeing NFS mounts take forever to unmount (at shutdown/reboot).
> > (forever => 1 hour ... or never completes)
> >
> > Is this similar to the problem that the OP is asking about?
>
> Is it a diskless station?
>
> Even in not, just make sure you don't shut the network down before NFS is
> actually unmounted...?

JFYI, on PS3, kexec works fine with NFS root.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619