kexec kernel with embedded initrd?

Sven Anders anders at anduras.de
Fri Dec 19 13:21:56 EST 2008

Geoff Levand schrieb:
> Sven Anders wrote:
>> I want to boot a kernel (bzImage) with an embedded initrd (CPIO archive using
>> the CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE option).
>>
>> Can I simply load the kernel with kexec or do I have to extract the initrd
>> first and load them using the --initrd option?
>>
>> If I have to extract them first, is there a tool for this?
>
> You should be able to just load the bzImage.  The kernel image should know
> how to then use the initramfs.  I know it works for powepc64 at least.

Hmm?!

If I load the same image directly (in kvm) in works. If I use kexec, it gives
me a kernel panic "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,0).
Any special option needed?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I will double check (again)...
(I'm using bzImage on i386).

Regards
 Sven

--
 Sven Anders <anders at anduras.de>                 () Ascii Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

Rechtsform: Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Passau - Amtsgericht Passau HRB 6032
Mitglieder des Vorstands: Sven Anders, Marcus Junker
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Mark Peters