How do i see printf output from the purgatory code?

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Fri Aug 29 03:54:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

* Simon Horman [2008-08-29 15:19]:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:14:04PM -0700, Jay Lan wrote:
> > Specifically, an ia64.
> >
> > I added printf() to purgatory-ia64.c, compiled, and executed
> > the kexec command from a shell window (ie, not from a script), but
> > i still did not see the printf i put in.
> >
> > Thanks for help in advance!
>
> IIRC, the printf output in purgatory only shows on the VGA console.

No, you just have to call kexec with right parameters:

       --console-serial
              Enable the serial console.

       --serial=port
              Specify the serial port for debug output.

       --serial-baud=baud_rate
              Specify the baud rate of the serial port.

However, I don't know if it works on IA64, especially with SGI consoles
I think one would have to patch kexec.

Also, don't use --noio (which is the default on SUSE on IA64 because
we had problems on some machines without that parameter).

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Architecture Development