makedumpfile fails on SGI machine

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Mon Aug 18 07:00:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

* Ken'ichi Ohmichi [2008-08-18 16:19]:
> Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > * Ken'ichi Ohmichi [2008-08-05 21:07]:
> >> BTW, I'd like to know some conditions of this problem.
> >> So please let me know the makedumpfile commandline which you run.
> >>  Ex. # makedumpfile -d 31 -x vmlinux /proc/vmcore dumpfile
> >
> >   # makedumpfile -d 3 -D vmcore.sles11 vmcore.sles11.filtered
> >
> >> I doubt that makedumpfile cannot distinguish the pgtable correctly.
> >> I created the debugging patch. Please run makedumpfile-1.2.7 applied
> >> with it by '-D' option, and report the output.
> >> According to your kernel .config file, the output should contain
> >> "PAGETABLE_4L : ON".
> >
> > See the attachment.
>
> Thanks for the log.
> makedumpfile can distinguish the pgtable correctly.
>
> Can the crash utility translate the virtual address 0xa0007fff8f900000
> to physical address ? Please run the following subcommand on the crash
> utility.
>
> crash> vtop 0xa0007fff8f900000

crash> vtop 0xa0007fff8f900000
VIRTUAL           PHYSICAL
a0007fff8f900000  (not mapped)

PAGE DIRECTORY: a000000100914000
   PGD: a000000100914000 => 30030bc000
   PUD: e0000030030bfff8 => 30030c0000
   PMD: e0000030030c3e38 => 30030c4000
   PTE: e0000030030c7200 => 0

But I guess that's normal with virtual memory maps:

$ zgrep VIRTUAL_M /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP=y

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development

“Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
       -- Albert Einstein