Kdump Automation Mechanism

Jay Lan jlan at sgi.com
Thu Aug 14 13:23:01 EDT 2008

Neil Horman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:43:11AM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:> * Neil Horman [2008-08-14 08:18]:> > > > That being said, Bernhard, I suppose it would be worthwhile standardizing some> > configuration settings, seeing as despite our implementation differences, we> > seem to largely support the same feature set.  Have you given any consideration> > to defining a standard kdump feature set and configuration syntax?> > I have nothing against consideration in that area.> > SUSE does configuration in /etc/sysconfig/kdump. I think sysconfig is> also on RedHat, so that is the same?> Its close, /etc/sysconfig/kdump is used to apply options to the kexec utility,while /etc/kdump.conf directs how the initrd should be constructed.  I wouldlike to move to using a url style syntax for specifying dump targets like youhave, but there are series of other options that I need to take intoconsideration (seehttp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/kexec-tools
-1.102pre-15.fc10.src.rpm

Hi Neil and Bernhard,

Yes, please! Please at least agree between RedHat and SuSE how users
can install (rpms that contains necessary bits, such as debuginfo data),
create initrd, configure (kdump config files), and analyze (what to
take to run crash) core files! That would be great!!!

If you can put vmcore at the same location... Ahh, asking too much? ;)

Cheers,
 - jay