Kdump compressed format

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Tue Aug 5 08:43:29 EDT 2008

* Ken'ichi Ohmichi [2008-08-05 15:21]:
> Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > is there any documentation how the kdump compressed format (or the
> > diskdump format, from what it is derived) looks like? Beside of the
> > source code of the tools that support it. ;-)
>
> The kdump compressed format is supported by only the crash utility
> and makedumpfile command. gdb does not support it. I think that
> there is not any documentation about the kdump compressed format,
> then I wrote it. Is it enough ?

Thanks a lot! Yes, that gives me the overview I needed.

I grabbed your information and generated a manual page from it where I
also want to describe the other dump formats (when I have some time
left):

   http://www.suse.de/~bwalle/kdump/

That's basically part of the SUSE kdump configuration, maintained in
http://freehg.org/u/bwalle/kdump/.

I just used asciidoc because I hate nroff. I hope it's ok for you to
distribute that manual page.

However, if you wonder, I didn't need that information for documentation
but for page size on PPC64 ... thanks again!

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development