kexec/ kdump setup problem

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 09:49:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:14:36PM -0700, Mrunal Gawade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just checked /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded file after giving the kexec -p
> command for loading panic kernel. And the value was 1. So it was loaded
> successfully. I then crashed kernel and it hanged. I rebooted manually and
> checked the value in the file again and it was "0". So across reboot it got
> reset. So if I assume that the kernel loading was successful, the question
> remains if it got loaded successfully at the designated space 65M at 16M. How
> do I know that? I am running SUSE 2.6.25 on a VMWare workstation. Does
> running on VM could change any thing such as memory layout or anything
> related to panic handling?

As Sachin mentioned, kexec_crash_loaded gets reset accross reboots.

As for use on a VMWare guest, its behavior is anyones guess.  Best thing I could
think to do would be to add earlyprintk to the kdump kernel command line, and
watch the serial console for mesages about where you're hanging (see
Documentations/kernel-parameters.txt for details about earlyprintk).

Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.