Need Help

Ken'ichi Ohmichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Wed Apr 2 04:01:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

Muniyappa, Rangappa wrote:
> 1) The cpu architecture and the kernel version
>
> Linux linux-ugsi 2.6.16.46-0.12-debug #1 SMP Wed Mar 26 15:54:11 IST
> 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> 2) The memory model (config-2.6.16.46-0.12-kdump)
>
> I am attaching the config file with this mail.
>
> 3) The makedumpfile version
>
> makedumpfile: version 1.0.8 (released on 22 December 2006)

Thank you for the information.
I guess that the cause is due to an invalid ELF header of /proc/vmcore.
To confirm it, could you please give me more information ?

1. Is your system's memory 4GB or bigger ?

2. Is an ELF header of /proc/vmcore ELF32 ?
   # Please send me the output of 'readelf -a /proc/vmcore'

3. If the above answers are 'yes', could you run the following
   operations and report the result ?
   - When preloading kdump kernel, add "--elf64-core-headers"
     option to kexec command.
   - Make a panic.
   - After switching to kdump kernel, run makedumpfile.

Note:
  makedumpfile gets the pfn from an ELF header of /proc/vmcore.
  ELF32 header cannot represent physical address 4GB or bigger,
  and it is invalid. As the result, makedumpfile cannot get valid pfn.

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi