kdump info request

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at in.ibm.com
Wed Sep 19 00:28:40 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:04:21PM -0600, Mukker, Atul wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I guess we have pretty much nailed down device bringup sequence when loading under capture kernel. Our concern is: the capture kernel has a significant smaller memory footprint. Our RAID driver itself has a large memory requirement, some of which could fail allocation when loaded under the capture kernel.
>
> If we could somehow determine that we are being called in context of capture kernel, we can dynamically lower driver memory requirement (at cost of lower IO throughout of-course, which is ok for this brief context).

You can parse the command line and look for presence of elfcorehdr= option.
This is internally appended to command line by kexec tools to tell capture
kernel the address of ELF core headers.

What's the memory allocation requirement of current RAID driver? How much
memory you are reserving for capture kernel? Are you already seeing the
memory allocation failure?

I feel until and unless memory requirements are huge, we should not
compromise with IO throughput. Capability to save the dump to disk as fast
as possible to reduce the down time is also an important consideration.