[PATCH] [makedumpfile] Fix ELF output with overlapping sections
bwalle at suse.de
Thu May 31 14:22:17 EDT 2007
* Ken'ichi Ohmichi <oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp> [2007-05-31 04:26]:
> BTW, I don't know the reason why your system's /proc/vmcore has the
> overlapping physical address. If you know it, please let me know.
* Certain architectures such as x86_64 and ia64 require a separate
* PT_LOAD program header for the kernel. This is controlled through
* The separate PT_LOAD program header is required either because the
* kernel is mapped at a different location than the rest of the
* physical memory or because we need to support relocatable kernels.
* Or both as on x86_64.
* In the relocatable kernel case this PT_LOAD segment is used to tell
* where the kernel was actually loaded which may be different from
* the load address present in the vmlinux file.
* The extra kernel PT_LOAD program header results in a vmcore file
* which is larger than the size of the physical memory. This is
* because the memory for the kernel is present both in the kernel
* PT_LOAD program header and in the physical RAM program headers.
More information about the kexec