[makedumpfile] config file -- OSRELEASE

Ken'ichi Ohmichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Wed May 30 07:13:28 EDT 2007

Hi Bernhard,

2007/05/29 21:30:58 +0200, Bernhard Walle <bwalle at suse.de> wrote:
>is there any reason why the kernel version saved in the configuration
>file is the version of the running kernel and not the version for
>which the config file is for?

The reason is that makedumpfile gets a running kernel's page_size as
a 1st-kernel's page_size. If they are different, makedumpfile cannot
analyze /proc/vmcore and it fails. So I think a configuration file
should be created while 1st-kernel is running.

>It's a big problem because my plan was to ship the configuration files
>with the kernel RPMs in SLES. However, we don't build the kernels on
>systems which run the kernel that is just built -- so that's not
>possible.

It is a good idea to ship the configuration files with the kernel RPMs.
I think you can do it with current implementation, because you need
only one configuration file for one kernel image.

I think you can ship configuration files as follows:

1. Build a kernel file and a debuginfo file.
2. Boot the system with the above kernel file.
3. Generate a configration file from a debuginfo file.
4. Ship the configration file with the kernel RPM.

Any problem to follow the method above ?

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi