[PATH 0/1] Kexec jump - v2 - the first step to kexec based hibernation

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Tue Jul 31 07:04:58 EDT 2007

Hi!

> 3. Boot kernel compiled for normal usage, the reserved crash kernel
>    memory region must be added to kernel command line as following:
>
>    crashkernel=<XX>M@<XX>M
>
>    Where, <XX> should be replaced by the real memory size and
> position.

I used crashkernel=64M at 64M .

> 4. Load kernel compiled for hibernating usage as a crashdump kernel
>    with kexec, the same kernel as that of 3 can be used if
>    CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y is selected. The kernel command line option as
>    following must be appended to kernel command line.
>
>    kexec_jump_buf_pfn=`cat /sys/kernel/kexec_jump_buf_pfn`
>
>    For example, the shell command line can be as follow:
>
>    kexec -p /boot/vmlinux --args-linux --append="root=/dev/hdb signal
>        kexec_jump_buf_pfn=`cat /sys/kernel/kexec_jump_buf_pfn`"

I think I followed the instructions closely. Now I'm trying to do

kexec -p /data/l/linux/vmlinux --args-linux --append="init=/bin/bash
kexec_jump_buf_pfn=`cat /sys/kernel/kexec_jump_buf_pfn`"

but it tells me:

Invalid memory segment 0x100000 - 0x7a0fff

(and nothing in dmesg)

If I try to load bzImage (corresponding to vmlinux I tried to use),  I
get:

root at amd:~# kexec -p /data/l/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage --append="init=/bin/bash kexec_jump_buf_pfn=`cat /sys/kernel/kexec_jump_buf_pfn`"
Could not find a free area of memory of 9000 bytes...
locate_hole failed
root at amd:~#

What am I doing wrong?
								Pavel