Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore

Dan Aloni da-x at monatomic.org
Mon Jul 23 09:02:39 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 08:47:23PM +0900, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2007/07/23 10:31:47 +0530, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at in.ibm.com> wrote:
[..]

> >I am also in favour of a complete kernel based solution. Export required
> >info from kernel and let kexec-tools parse that info, pass it to second
> >kernel and it will be appended to vmcore.
> >
> >This will put some restrictions on that we can't keep on changing the
> >format of the info very frequently and some new features might not work
> >with older kernels. But I guess, kexec-tools can provide an override option
> >where dump filtering info can be passed on kexec-tools command line (as
> >suggested by ken'chi). If user passes this info on command line then
> >kexec-tools will not read the info exported from kernel. This way new
> >features can be made to work on older kernels.
>
> That sounds good.

Note that currently kexec doesn't actually pass the ELF notes themselves
to the kernel, but only their physical addresses as extracted from /sys.
If we want to be able to pass the notes themselves from userspace, a
little more trickery will be needed here.

> Dan Aloni, I'd like to cooperate with you for implementing this feature.
> If you have some patches other than 2007/07/10 patches, could you send
> me them ?  I will update them.

Sure, though I haven't made new patches (was busy with other things).
Feel free to post new versions of these patches, I'll take a look and
cooperate with you on this.

--
Dan Aloni
XIV LTD, http://www.xivstorage.com