Observing Softlockup's while running heavy IOs

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Tue Sep 6 08:06:42 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 04:52:37PM +0530, Sreekanth Reddy wrote:
> [...]
> >> corresponding IRQx. I have done below experiment in driver to limit
> >> these softlockups/hardlockups. But I am not sure whether it is
> >> reasonable to do this in driver,
> >>
> >> Experiment:
> >> If the CPUx is continuously busy with handling the remote CPUs
> >> (enabled in the corresponding IRQ's affinity_hint) IO works by 1/4th
> >> of the HBA queue depth in the same ISR context then enable a flag
> >> called 'change_smp_affinity' for this IRQ. Also created a thread with
> >> will poll for this flag for every IRQ's (enabled by driver) for every
> >> second. If this thread see that this flag is enabled for any IRQ then
> >> it will write next CPU number from the CPUs enabled in the IRQ's
> >> affinity_hint to the IRQ's smp_affinity procfs attribute using
> >> 'call_usermodehelper()' API.
> >>
> >> This to make sure that interrupts are not processed by same single CPU
> >> all the time and to make the other CPUs to handle the interrupts if
> >> the current CPU is continuously busy with handling the other CPUs IO
> >> interrupts.
> >>
> >> For example consider a system which has 8 logical CPUs and one MSIx
> >> vector enabled (called IRQ 120) in driver, HBA queue depth as 8K.
> >> then IRQ's procfs attributes will be
> >> IRQ# 120, affinity_hint=0xff, smp_affinity=0x00
> >>
> >> After starting heavy IOs, we will observe that only CPU0 will be busy
> >> with handling the interrupts. This experiment driver will change the
> >> smp_affinity to next CPU number i.e. 0x01 (using cmd 'echo 0x01 >
> >> /proc/irq/120/smp_affinity', driver issue's this cmd using
> >> call_usermodehelper() API) if it observes that CPU0 is continuously
> >> processing more than 2K of IOs replies of other CPUs i.e from CPU1 to
> >> CPU7.
> >>
> >> Whether doing this kind of stuff in driver is ok?
> >

> > Hello Sreekanth,
> >
> > To me this sounds like something that should be implemented in the I/O
> > chipset on the motherboard. If you have a look at the Intel Software
> > Developer Manuals then you will see that logical destination mode supports
> > round-robin interrupt delivery. However, the Linux kernel selects physical
> > destination mode on systems with more than eight logical CPUs (see also
> > arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic_flat_64.c).
> >
> > I'm not sure the maintainers of the interrupt subsystem would welcome code
> > that emulates round-robin interrupt delivery. So your best option is
> > probably to minimize the amount of work that is done in interrupt context
> > and to move as much work as possible out of interrupt context in such a way
> > that it can be spread over multiple CPU cores, e.g. by using
> > queue_work_on().
> >
> > Bart.
>
> Bart,
>
> Thanks a lot for providing lot of inputs and valuable information on this issue.
>
> Today I got one more observation. i.e. I am not observing any lockups
> if I use 1.0.4-6 versioned irqbalance.
> Since this versioned irqbalance is able to shift the load to other CPU

This isn't happening because irqbalance is no longer able to shift load between
cpus, its happening because of commit 996ee2cf7a4d10454de68ac4978adb5cf22850f8.
irqs with higher interrupt volumes sould be balanced to a specific cpu core,
rather than to a cache domain to maximize cpu-local cache hit rates.  Prior to
that change we balanced to a cache domain and your workload didn't have to
serialize multiple interrupts to a single core.  My suggestion to you is to use
the --policyscript option to make your storage irqs get balanced to the cache
level, rather than the core level.  That should return the behavior to what you
want.

Neil