No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Sun May 17 12:47:17 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 06:10:37PM +0200, Cedric Gava wrote:
> Hello
>
> The message "No irq handler for vector (irq -1)" appears with no apparent period/correlation. After googling, irqbalance seems to be suspect

This has nothing to do with irqbalance, but rather with the mechanism by which
the kernel migrates irqs and sets their affinity.  There are some irq
controllers which fail to drain interrupts from a given cpu when being migrated,
and this leads to an inconsistency.

Do you have a 55XX or X58 chipset on your system?  I expect you do.  You would
need to run a 3.14 kernel or later to get the full set of pci quirks that will
fix the problem (though, by fixing the problem, the the solution is to disable
iommu operation).

Best
neil