android phone often needs reboot to authenticate with 802.11ac AP

Bruno Dantas dantas at airpost.net
Mon Aug 26 04:30:48 PDT 2024

I edited these phones' wpa_supplicant settings (at /data/vendor/wifi/wpa/wpa_supplicant), changing `fast_reauth=1` to `fast_reauth=0`, then rebooting the phones. I have not had another failed authentication yet after limited testing (walking away from house until wifi is out of range, then walking back to see if reauthentication is successful).

If this wpa_supplicant tweak turns out to be the solution, I'm puzzled as to why `fast_reath=1` never caused problems when my AP was using the 802.11n hostapd.conf.