[BISECTED][BUG] roaming between 2 interfaces controlled by the same hostapd instance fails

Nick vincent at systemli.org
Fri Aug 4 01:29:03 PDT 2023

I just forward this message to the mailing-list. Original message is
from stintel:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/13156#issuecomment-1665209744

Hi,

After bumping hostapd in OpenWrt from
bb945b98fefc64887dffb40773a19d77585cee42 to
599d00be9de2846c6ea18c1487d8329522ade22b, we've received various reports
of clients sometimes being unable to connect [1]. The problem occurs
when clients roam from one radio to another radio controlled by the same
hostapd instance. E.g. after rebooting the AP, clients connect to the
2.4 GHz interface, as the 5 GHz interface is in state HT_SCAN->DFS. Once
the 5GHz interface transitions to the DFS->ENABLED state, and clients
try to roam to it, they fail to connect. Apple devices report the PSK as
being wrong. My Android phone just disconnects and switches to 5G.

Bisecting lead to the following commit: