wpa_supplicant WPA-EAP hashed password over dbus

Matt Harvey mharvey at miovision.com
Fri May 6 13:01:36 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I've been able to connect to my wifi network using the following in
the configuration file:

network={
ssid="SSID"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
identity="mharvey"
password=hash:abcdef123456789abcdef0123456789f
phase2="autheap=MSCHAPv2"
priority=10
id_str="Protected EAP (PEAP)"
}

However, getting the password= line set as such using the dbus
interface (I'm creating an application that takes the password from
the user, for their wifi network, so just getting the configuration
right once is not an option) has proven difficult. I've used the
dbus.ByteArray type, but it puts
686173683aabcdef123456789abcdef0123456789f in the configuration file,
which is ASCII for "hash:" followed by the same hash.
If I use a dbus.String, it puts quotes around the otherwise correct
line, which causes wpa_supplicant to misinterpret the
"hash:abcdef123456789abcdef0123456789f" string as a password, and not
the hash of a password.
I've tried putting just the hash abcdef123456789abcdef0123456789f (no
quotes, or "hash:") in the configuration file (similar to how the
EAP-PSK psk field works), but that also doesn't work.

Is there an easy solution to this? I'd rather keep the password
hashed, for obfuscation reasons, and also for the ease of dealing with
passwords containing unicode characters.

Thanks,
Matt