MKA backwards compatibility

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Jan 17 07:53:10 PST 2022

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 11:26:38PM +0000, Samuel Varley wrote:
> I noticed that the new release does not contain the following patch. I am wondering whether this is an oversight or if you have chosen to not include it.
>
> mka: Revert commits that [partially] break backwards compatibility
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/hostap/patch/20210921084651.1521-1-samuel.varley@alliedtelesis.co.nz/

This is still in my queue just like that patchwork entry indicates (I
would have change its state and replied to the email had I actually
decided not to apply it).

There are couple of MACsec related changes that I have not yet had a
chance to figure out the best approach for. This is one of the items
that seem to have differences between the standard and the deployed
implementations. There was another one as well, if I remember correctly,
but it did not apparently have a pending contribution to change code,
but rather an open question.

Unfortunately, I do not have a good test setup for checking MACsec
changes and this type of conflicts are inconvenient to resolve without
clearer understanding of the implications to deployed devices. I do try
to get back to this, but it could be helpful if others have views on
this area as well.