FT authentication fails on FT-SAE

michael-dev michael-dev at fami-braun.de
Wed Sep 29 01:32:51 PDT 2021

Hi,

I'm wondering on the following aspects of the talk:

- on slide 28, he says full WPA-EAP is slow for roaming. But of the
472ms shown in the packet trace, 363ms are actually after the EAP
handshake SUCCESS message and before Key 1/4 message (frame 105499 delta
value)- and thus cannot be attributed to EAP (nor WPA) but the AP
internals. Still, FT improves but the baseline should be only 109ms (for
the authentication).
- on slide 31, the authentication + reply + reassociation + replay OTA
handshake is 0.002ms (with the AP having to do all the R0<->R1
communication and key derivation). On slide 34, for over-DS, we have 2ms
for forwarding the action frame and getting the reply alone and
additionally the STA waits another 57ms after the over-DS handshake is
completed before it actually sends its reassocation request, which takes
<1ms here.

So while it might be true that the tested devices/firmware is slower
when using over-DS, it looks more like implementation details of the
specific measured devices/device types to me.

Regards,
M. Braun