MKA and group addresses (peers discovery)

Jaap Keuter jaap.keuter at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 28 23:08:17 PDT 2021

Hi,

as you noticed peer discovery takes place using EAP-MKA frames, addressed as 802.1X PAE. On a `true` broadcast LAN this would suffice, with our switched LANs the peers become the switch ports. To influence this behaviour either the addressing needs to be changed (so the switch port won’t pick up the frames) or the switch needs to be made transparent for these frames.

I don’t have experience with the context you’re working in, what I do know is that the Linux bridge has a sysctl for this. See this commit: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=515853ccecc6987dfb8ed809dd8bf8900286f29e

Regards,
Jaap