FT authentication fails on FT-SAE

michael-dev michael-dev at fami-braun.de
Mon Sep 27 13:59:37 PDT 2021

Hi,

DHCP does not matter here, as it is provided independently from the way
wifi authentication works.

With FT, there is for each connected station the AP called "R0" - the
AP, that the station completed its first FT-SAE handshake with (for the
current session). The current connected AP is called "R1". After
connecting first, the current AP is both R0 and R1.

So when connecting to a new AP reusing its existing FT session, that new
AP also behaves as an R1 AP and contacts the R0 AP. Which of your APs
becomes R0 or R1 depends on which is the first the STA connects to - so
both need to be able to act as R0 and R1 and learn of each other in both
R0 and R1 role.

R0 <-> R1 communication takes place using the MAC addresses configured
with r0kh/r1kh config setting using a hostapd-specific protocol. With
ft_psk_generate_local=1, (only) this communication is skipped with
FT-PSK and the R1 just does the required computations itself to make up
the results.

In order for the STA to save an RTT of being effectively disconnected
when roaming, it can complete its handshake with the new R1 by sending
the packets to its current R1, which the forwards it to the new R1
(normally over wire). This is called over-DS and is independed from
R0<->R1 communication. If over-DS is not used (either because the STA
does not want to or the AP has ft_over_ds=0), this STA <-> new AP
handshake is done over WiFi (as would any non-FT handshake). This packet
forwarding does not depend on r0kh/r1kh configuration, as the target MAC
adress is provided by the STA.

Regards,
M. Braun