No broadcast after 2nd rekey using extended key IDs

James Prestwood prestwoj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 13:53:44 PDT 2021

Soon after clicking send I believe I figured this out. I had been
rekeying by sending REKEY_GTK then immediately sending REKEY_PTK.

This actually caused a GTK only rekey, then a PTK + GTK rekey. I still
think there is some race in hostapd since it apparently did not install
the second GTK key, hence I lost broadcast.

Its unlikely but I still think this this could cause problems. For
example:

A station leaves causing a GTK rekey. Then a station rekey timer
happens to fire immediately after causing a rekey for that station (PTK
+ GTK). This may cause the same behavior I am seeing, but hard to know
for sure.