Hostapd in monitor mode

Matúš Vlček matus.vlcek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 08:23:02 GMT 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to avoid the problem of maximum virtual interfaces for APs
on my AR9271 with ath9k_htc driver and firmware. I would like to
create just one monitor interface, where I get all the traffic and
then make my own management frames logic. Filter frames according to
multiple destination addresses in frame header(simulation of multiple
APs) and then send my own management frames like association response,
authentication, beacons...

Do you know if it's possible to change hostapd to use a monitor
interface so I get all the frames from air to hostapd instead of just
frames destined to my real interface?

Thanks for the answer