Configuring WiFi6 in hostapd

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 18:53:19 EDT 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 2:18 AM Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan
<sugandhgowda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:27 AM Sugandh Huthanahally Mohan
> <sugandhgowda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have captured connection between a WiFi6 AP and a WiFi6 STA in wireshark.
> > >I have attached a wireshark pcap file.
> > > I could see HE capabilities exchange in Association request and response.
> > Yes, this looks fine to me except for VHT IEs in the probe and
> > association response in 2.4GHz.
> > Maybe this is what is confusing, can you please disable ieee80211ac=0
> > in the hostapd.conf and try?
> I disabled iee80211ac and I am not seeing VHT capabilities in Association
> frames but the data rate remains the same.I am attaching wireshark capture.
okay, thanks.
> > The iw phy output is below. I couldn't see HE connection in this output.
> >
> > $iw dev wlp3s0 link
> > Connected to 8c:c6:81:69:86:65 (on wlp3s0)
> >     SSID: WiFi_AX200
> >     freq: 2437
> >     RX: 27838 bytes (199 packets)
> >     TX: 13319 bytes (97 packets)
> >     signal: -34 dBm
> >     rx bitrate: 26.0 MBit/s MCS 3
> >     tx bitrate: 2.0 MBit/s
> >
> >     bss flags:    short-slot-time
> >     dtim period:    2
> >     beacon int:    100
> >
> > > The link doesn't show any specific details related to HE other than
> > > the MCS which can vary, try running
> > > an iperf to see HE MCSes in a clean channel.
>
> Could you please explain what this means.
> I want to know what clean channel means and where actually I can see HE MCSes.

Sure. The link command doesn't printout any in capability information explicitly
 except for the MCS details. And figuring out the mode of connection (11n/11ax)
from the MCS is tricky as the MCS varies across depending on the rate
control algorithm
(for iwlwifi: hardware). So, I was suggesting to use iperf (the more
data you pass, more
chance of the rate control algo to go to higher MCSes) and also by
"clean channels" I was
referring to quieter channels where there are no other BSSes or no
other traffic.

But, before we go into debugging data path, I still don't understand
why wpa_supplicant
isn't saying it is a HE association?

Ah, After staring at the code and using blame, a crucial fix missed
out hostap-2.9 windows,
the fix was to properly validate the HE capabilities, I was looking at
the latest cod and
everything looked fine, hence took time.

hostap_2_9-> 7th August
0497e4148197fb8fdf92b5c901ce06df1bfa548c ->13th August

Please use the latest HEAD of hostap.git, you need to compile it
manually and try the
test and let me know how it goes. (make sure all proper configs are enabled)