Reconfigure hostapd per BSS

Shay Bar shay.bar at celeno.com
Tue Jun 30 01:11:19 EDT 2020

On 29/06/2020 19:53, John Crispin wrote:
> External Email
>

> On 24.06.20 07:16, Shay Bar wrote:
>> Hi Jouni,
>>
>> In current code, SIGHUP can be used to reconfigure hostapd.
>> Upon this signal hostapd will read .conf file and reconfigure.
>> In case of MBSS, I find it useful to be able to reconfigure only
>> specific BSS(s) without interfering other BSS's currently running.
>> I want to implement such mechanism and want your opinion.
>>
>> I waver between two options:
>> 1. Add BSS reload mask (of BSS's) to .conf file so that only the
>>      BSS's enabled in the bitmask will be reconfigured from the
>>      conf file upon SIGHUP.
>> 2. Add hostapd_cli RECONFIGURE option that receive as
>>       parameter the BSS's bitmask and reconfigures
>>       (from .conf file).only the enabled BSS's.
>>
>> Appreciate your feedback.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shay.
>
> Hi Shay,
>
> we are carrying a patch inside openwrt doing something similar [1]. it
> basically introduces a radio_id and config_id option, where we put a
> hash of the radio/bss section of the config file. when you call reload,
> hostapd will only restart that specific BSS. THis has been working for
> people in the field, and changes to one BSS wont interrupt the
> connectivity of others on the same phy. been meaning to send this
> updtream for a while. might be the time to do so now.
>
>      John
>
> [1]
> https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/network/services/hostapd/patches/700-wifi-reload.patch

Hi John,

Exactly what I need!
will wait for your upstream patch.

I would add to the patch:
1. hostapd.conf description of radio_config_id and config_id parameters.
2. Example how to trigger that reload (changing SSID of a specific BSS
for example).

Thanks,
Shay.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any retransmission, dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed as a representation, warranty or a commitment by Celeno. No warranties are expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranties of non-infringement, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.