Driver error

Arend Van Spriel arend.vanspriel at broadcom.com
Tue Jul 28 03:30:19 EDT 2020

On 7/27/2020 5:14 PM, Brian Clark wrote:
> Hello when trying to start I get this error not sure how to fix.
>
> [bclark at localhost hostapd]$ sudo hostapd hostapd.conf
> Configuration file: hostapd.conf
> Line 34: invalid/unknown driver 'iwlegacy'
> 1 errors found in configuration file 'hostapd.conf'
> Failed to set up interface with hostapd.conf
> Failed to initialize interface

I would say the above gives sufficient hints at what is wrong...

> hostapd.conf as follows:
>
> bclark at localhost hostapd]$ sudo cat hostapd.conf

[...]

> # DO NOT FORGET TO SET A WPA PASSPHRASE!!
> wpa_passphrase=<removed>
>
> # Most modern wireless drivers in the kernel need driver=nl80211
> driver=iwlegacy

driver here means the driver api layer within hostapd, not the device
driver within the kernel. According to this table [1] iwlegacy supports
cfg80211 so you should be fine using 'driver=nl80211' here. Despite its
name iwlegacy is a relatively modern driver ;-)

Regards,
Arend

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers